Thanks for clicking the URL in my Twitter profile. Here’s a little background on who I am and what I do:
Before returning to Vancouver in May 2011, I spent four and a half years creating community in the urban desert that is better known as Phoenix. To this end, I organized Jane’s Walk Phoenix between 2009 and 2011 and helped coordinate events such as CenPhoCamp and Park(ing) Day.
Through my Yurbanism brand, Yuri explores the ‘Y’ of urbanism by sharing ways to make our cities more livable, community-oriented places one block at a time.
I am a recovering public policy wonk with a Master’s Degree in Public Administration and a depth of experience in the research and analysis of contemporary policy issues. He put these skills to use as a senior research analyst at Arizona State University’s Morrison Institute for Public Policy and in positions with the governments of British Columbia and Canada He is also a social media specialist with experience in blogging, website maintenance and online community management.
I am currently the director of Community Engagment at PlaceSpeak, an online geo-consultation platform.
I have been profiled in the following publications:
- Sunset Magazine “First on the Block”
- Phoenix New Times “100 Creatives“
- Arizona Republic “Phoenix celebrates National Park(ing) Day“
- Downtown Devil (ASU) “After years of advocacy, downtown Phoenix advocate packs bags for Canada“
- Arizona Republic “Jane’s Walk celebrates community art, architecture“
“I know of your amazing Jane’s Walk work… Keep it up. You are one of our stars.”
— Roberta Brandes Gratz, award-winning journalist and urban critic, lecturer and author
“Yuri has the ability to organize communities in productive, creative ways, and to inspire people in the process. Organized, efficient, passionate and a great collaborator. Working with Yuri and seeing the results of his dedicated work is a joy.”
— Stephen Goldsmith, Professor, University of Utah College of Architecture and Planning
“Yuri… has his finger on the pulse on the revitalization of downtown more than anyone I can think of and is a tremendous asset to this community!”
“Yuri is well known for his personality and willingness to help wherever he can”
“Yuri’s commitment to exploring and reporting on the urban environment and policy is absolutely remarkable… Yuri doesn’t just talk the talk, he walks the walk for real.”
“Yuri captures his passion for strengthening vibrant communities to get neighborhood members engaged. Yuri guides them into digging deeper into the stories that are encased in our urban environment.”
“Yuri is one of those unique individuals you meet that doesn’t fit any traditional mold – and that’s a good thing… He’s not a “suit” and he’s not a hippie – he’s the best of it all.””
Yurbanism’s Top Posts
If you are new to the site, you might want to start with my most popular posts. Here are my top posts in various categories:
- 10 Urban Visionaries Who Aren’t Jane Jacobs
- 15 Acronyms Every Urbanist Should Know
- 10 Books Every Urbanist Must Read
- 10 Great Gift Ideas for Urbanists
- 25 NIMBY Spinoffs
- ABCs of Urbanism eBook
- Retrofit Urbanism: Creating People-Oriented Places
- Walkable Urbanism: Back to the Future
- Sustainable Urbanism: Creating Resilient Cities
- DIY Urbansim: City Building from the Bottom-Up
- What is Placemaking?
- The Social Life of Small Urban Spaces: The Street Corner
- Streets as Places
- Urban Savoir-Faire
- The City is My Living Room
- CityScape: Suburbanizing Downtown Phoenix
- Best of the Best of Phoenix
- The Evolution of the Gold Spot
- 10 Reasons Why Civic Space Park Doesn’t Work
- Walk this Way: Jane’s Walk Phoenix is profiled in Sunset
- R. Crumb: A Short History of America
- How I stack up on the ‘BBC’ Reading List
- House for Sale in Central Phoenix
- A Mallrat Repents
- A Call to Action
Yuri also maintain the following sites:
- Jane’s Walk Phoenix
- Miscellany from an Incurable Urbanist
- Downtown Voices Coalition News and Views
- Arizona Heritage Alliance
- This site is built on WordPress (self-hosted).
- It uses Canvas a premium theme template by WooThemes.
- The header image was designed by Yuri’s wife, Linda Suffidy.
- Yuri use the Disqus commenting system.
- Yuri gets most of his photos from Flickr under Creative Commons license.
- This site is hosted by BlueHost.
This is my personal blog. The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily represent those of my employers or other sites he write for. The information provided is on an as-he-sees-it basis. Ix make no guarantees to its accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this blog. I will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its use.