I often get asked how I stay on top of everything that is going on in and around Phoenix. My main source of information is my fellow bloggers. I follow over 150 Arizona based bloggers in my Google Reader feed and scan about 100 posts a day. I also have set up a search downtown Phoenix to capture local news feeds and other online sources than mention the area.
Of all these sources, I have narrowed all these sources down to the following top ten (in no particular order). They offer me a mix of politics, news, insights and events that keeps me plugged into to the pulse of Phoenix specifically and Arizona more generally. If you are not following them already I suggest you check them out today.
- Arizona Capitol Times: A great source of political news from the state Capitol and beyond. They highlight the key issues of the day from a non-partisan and well-researched perspective.
- Rogue Columnist: Phoenician ‘in exile’ Jon Talton’s blog. It’s focus is “commentary and analysis too dangerous for corporate media” The site focuses on issues of politics, sustainability, economics of his beloved hometown from his current peach in Seattle. Some find Jon too negative, sarcastic or even bitter. I find he offers a refreshing clear perceptive that cuts through the denial and boosterism too common in our local media landscape.
- Blog for Arizona: “Arizona and National Politics and Culture from a Progressive Perspective.” I don’t always agree with their perspectives, but this site consistently provides cutting edge commentary on the issues facing the state.
- Democratic Diva: Democratic Diva is a venue for all things political. One of it’s contributors, Donna Gatehouse is also a regular contributor of Phxated.com. Like Blog for Arizona, I don’t always agree with their positions, but I also learn something new about Arizona’s wacky politics.
- Heat City: ‘Hard news in the political interest from Metro Phoenix.’ Nick Martin is a former staff reporter for the East Valley Tribune, who brings a professional journalistic rigor to his coverage of an array of topics from crime to business to politics and beyond. This is not a blog, but rather a hard-hitting media outlet providing original research and analysis of important stories often overlooked by the mainstream media.
- Jackalope Ranch: The Phoenix New Times Culture Blog. a great source of information to who is who and what is what in and around Phoenix’s burgeoning creative scene.
- LightRailBlogger/RailLife: A one two punch of life on and around Phoenix Metro Light Rail system. Tony, the Light Rail Blogger provides commentary on living a car free lifestyle in downtown Phoenix. Nick from RailLife provided a valley wide perspective of ‘life along the line.’
- Blooming Rock: Provides a perspective on all things of note about architecture and planning in central Phoenix. Includes tips on how to green your home in this climate to the latest on urban development to profiles of up and coming Phoenix architects and their projects.
- Valley Fever: The Phoenix New Times current affairs blog. Privies unique insights and analysis about Phoenix news and politics not often found elsewhere.
- Phxated.com: While I am a regular contributor to this site, I find the content provided my fellow writers to be a constant source of top quality commentary and news about the local arts, media and political scene.
What is your favorite site for news and information on what is going on in Phoenix or Arizona?